Date:      Wed, 14 Dec 2005 16:17:38 -0700
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Odd performance problems after upgrade from 4.11 to 6.0-Stable

Kevin Oberman wrote:

> I recently upgraded my last desktop system from 4.11-Stable to
> 6.0-Stable. I did an update to 5.3 then to RELENG_5,
> RELENG_6_0_0_RELEASE and on to RELENG6_0.
>
> This system has been updated regularly from the days of at least 4.1.
> The hardware is a 1GHz PIII with an ICH2 chipset. 256 MB of memory.
>
> After the upgrade, the system performs poorly. Specifically, it seems to
> be blocking on I/O. If I have a dump or bsdtar running, a CPU intensive
> job produced minimal CPU utilization and little progress. The system is
> 70% or more idle all of the time. X is particularly sluggish. Many times
> the system will simply appear to be locked up for seconds at a time like
> all of the I/O is synchronous and the entire system is blocking on GIANT
> until the disk write finishes. A level 0 dump of the system drive piped
> through gzip and over the network took about 10 hours. Now it is 17
> hours. My network link only ran at 3.4 Mbps (yes, that's bits, not
> Bytes) over a 100 Mbps connection to the storage server. The rate was
> much higher under 4.11.
>
> My attempts to track down the source of the problem simply failed. I
> have examined my kernel configuration and found nothing out of the
> ordinary. In fact, the the configuration varies from GENERIC only in
> devices (both added and deleted), dropping 486 and 586 CPU code and a
> larger SC_HISTORY. I have nothing in sysctl.conf and only enable DMA on
> my ATAPI devices in loader.conf. I have confirmed that the disks are
> running ATA100.
>
> Any suggestions on where to look? At this point I am baffled.

The bufdaemon is probably causing some of the Giant contention.
However, what it is contending with is the real question.  Is
your network driver and stack running MPSAFE?  At least a 'dmesg'
dump is needed here.

Also, taking out CPU_I586 is usually a bad idea.  It offers no
performance penalties (unlike CPU_I386 and maybe CPU_I486), but
enables things like optimized bcopy.

Scott