Date:      Sun, 01 May 2011 16:16:49 -0500
From:      Dave Pooser <dave-freebsd@pooserville.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Ongoing JRE support in FreeBSD?

I'm planning on setting up a machine to run a Java server app, and the OS
candidates are CentOS or FreeBSD. I'd prefer FreeBSD, for reasons mostly
involving ZFS and DTrace, but when I go to http://www.freebsd.org/java I
notice that the binaries are certified with 6.x/7.x and the last entry in
"Newsflash" is posted July 10 of 2010. This does not, on the surface,
appear to be a vibrant and active project.

That said, I see there are packages in the 8.2 RELEASE tree, so there's
clearly some kind of work going on. I guess my question is, can I expect
FreeBSD to be a solid platform for Java deployment going forward, or am I
better off taking the road more traveled and deploying on Linux?
--
Dave Pooser
Cat-Herder-in-Chief, Pooserville.com