Date:      Fri, 09 Oct 2009 16:56:19 -0400
From:      Allen <GedankeZauberer@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD text based games - Dungeoncrawl - My test box

Jayton Garnett wrote:
> Sounds like you probably caused the damage to the disk by powering down
> while it was trying to write to the disk and if you 'smashed' the power
> button it's possible you hit the case hard enough to rumble the drive
> causing physical damage ;)  of course it's also possible the EXE was
> written to change the geom of the drive at chip level.
>
> If you're really interested you can reverse engineer it to see exactly
> what it does ;)

The Power button on that machine, was one of those oldschool ones that
actually cut power, so I didn't have to push it hard or anything, and I
know it didn't damage the disk itself, because like I said, it still
worked, just completely screwed the thing. I'm not sure about the geom
part, but shouldn't Fdisk be able to change that when you do a fresh
format of the drive using the DOS version AND the Linux tools to try and
format?

the drive did format but for some reason it said it was really small
after. It was odd.

I can't reverse engineer since my coding skills are basically hello
world in everything except HTML and Perl, so not much that would
otherwise help.

Anyway, the only one I hadn't thought of was the geom part. I was
thinking about finding an old crap drive and putting Windows 95 on it to
try out that floppy again and see if now I could fix it since my skills
in computing have grown quite a lot since that time.

-Allen