Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 1995 20:01:04 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jay Kuri <jaykuri@interaccess.com>
To:        Derek Laufenberg x7-4534 <laufen@sol.med.ge.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XF86Config file for #9-771

> XF86Config file for #9-771
> Anyone have one handy they could send me?
    Hello Derek,
First, If you don't know already, you will need XFree86 3.1.2 to use the
#9 771 card.  I use it myself and it is a very good card.
What you need to do, is edit your XF86Config and replace the "Device"
section with the following:

> Also, whats the "proper" XF86 mailing list?
>
> Thanks,
>
> 	Derek Laufenberg

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Number Nine FX Motion 771"
    VendorName "Number Nine"
    BoardName "FX Motion 771"
    VideoRam 2048         # I have the 2M version, if you don't, change this
    s3RefClk 16

# Use Option "nolinear" if the server doesn't start up correctly
# (this avoids the linear framebuffer probe). If that fails try
# option "nomemaccess".
# Refer to /usr/X11R6/lib/doc/README.S3, and the XF86_S3 man page.

    Ramdac "ibm_rgb524"
    Clockchip "ibm_rgb524"
EndSection

If you run through the xf86config program and act like you are going to
install on the 771 (# 86 I think in the Board database) you should get a
working config file.  The only thing you have to do is drop this in place
of the 'Device' section of the config file (or, just make sure that the
Ramdac and clockchip lines are in there) as above.

  Also, if you want to use the 16 bits per pixel (65K colors) you will
need to edit your startx file (/usr/X11R6/bin/startx).  Around line 23,
theres a line that contains "serverargs"  you need to set that to:

serverargs="-bpp 16"

  This will tell the Xserver (XF86_S3) to start in, you guessed it, 16
bits per pixel.

Hope this answers your question,

Jay K.