Date:      Sun, 22 Apr 2001 23:40:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bzdik BSD <bzdik@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: the AMD factor in FreeBSD

--- Charles Burns <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Don't bet the farm that AMD will have SMB boards by then. Chances are
> that
> they will, but their roadmap, IIRC, says "2nd half" which just begins
> in
> June. You may also want to consider that the boards will be
> first-generation
> SMP. While they will almost certainly be far, far (FAR) better than
> the
> average 1st gen board because it is using a chipset that is perfectly
> good
> for single processor systems and because the boards are likely being
> marketed as server/workstation class (hence the predicted $600+ price
> tag),
> they may have some problems to iron out. I don't know how important
> these
> systems will be, but when I build one that needs 24/7 uptime I always
> use
> parts that have been out and tested in the field for a few months.

from experience: revision A2.3B or something like that :-)
it's going to be fine. he needs more of computational power to run his
models than uninterrupted raw-beastie i/o. In this case AMD *might* be
a good compromise. If the prof has large loops in his code that Xeons
could accommodate, then, prolly nothing beats Serverworks chipsets
implemented by Supermicro. Xeons are on sale now, those large buffers
make it hard to overclock <G>
He's got a tough choice to make considering Mama's budgetting stance.