Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 15:34:26 -0500
From:      adriel <adriel@adriel.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA gone?

     hw.ata.atapi_dma
     set to 1 for DMA access 0 for PIO (default is PIO).

root@misty:~# sysctl -w hw.ata.atapi_dma=1
sysctl: oid 'hw.ata.atapi_dma' is read only

what the hell?  I need this, my drive takes forever to mount without it
it scrolls tons of errors before finally timing out and using pio.

Quoting Bruce A. Mah (bmah@FreeBSD.ORG):
> If memory serves me right, simond@irrelevant.org wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 01:31:16PM +0200, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> > > I am afraid this is a rather dumb question but where did option
> > > ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA go? I am in the process of upgrading a
> > > 4.2-Release box to the latest stable version and 'make buildkernel'
> > > complained about that option not being recognised - I have read
> > > /usr/src/UPDATING but couldn't find any information about this - is
> > > there some kind of CHANGES documentation for the kernel that I
> > > overlooked?
> >
> > It seems that they've been moved, the new ata(4) explains how to set them
> > (ie from the loader)
>
> And it's also mentioned in RELNOTES.TXT:
>
> # To provide more flexible configuration, the various options for the
> # ata(4) driver are now boot loader tunables, rather than kernel
> # configure-time options.
>
> Bruce.

Adriel Ickler
Network Administrator   -  adriel@jlms.com
Self Trading Securities -  Voice:       512-263-2769
www.selftrading.com     -  Fax:         512-263-2141