Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 1997 13:36:50 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   More on Walnut Creek CDROM promotional give-aways...

Given that I seem to have generated a lot of interest in this from my
recent comments about educational institutions and free CDs, I just
wanted to make a few additional things clear about what I actually
meant by this (which I really should have before, sorry!).

I'm not looking to send single CDs to every research institute and
University computing department in a given nation - not only would
that raise our shipping costs tremendously, it also wouldn't be
anything close to the kind of "promotion" we're trying to accomplish
with this.

What I'm actually interested in are people who wish to use these CDs
for *active promotional purposes*, e.g. I don't want to see a box of
ten or twenty (or even one) CDs locked in a desk somewhere for the
private use of the elite computer center staff, I want to see that box
being hand-carried (by some serious FreeBSD fan) to different
carefully-picked departments (or bright, promising CS students) and
those CDs *given away* along with a little presentation about how
wonderful FreeBSD is and how much better it can make everyone's life
if they'll just try out this free CD.  That is the whole point. ;-)

So, if you qualify on those grounds, please do contact me!  I don't
mean to snub the "please send me a CD" folks at all, simply to note
that sending out single CDs is most definitely _not_ what I meant by
promotional donations.

Thanks!

					Jordan

P.S. This is not to say that there's no way at all for small research
or university departments to get CDs this way, simply that I'd prefer
instead to send a single batch to one individual or company and let
_them_ redistribute the CDs to the appropriate places (like these).