Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 09:51:38 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
Cc:        dg@root.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, rob@perihelion.co.uk
Subject:   Re: 'daily panic' reproduction [was re: fsck errors]

>  See below...
>
> "Rob McIntyre" <rob@perihelion.co.uk> writes:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm currently trying to debug a version of FreeBSD that has been
> > ported onto our Helios operating system.
> > After running newfs on an ide device, fsck produces errors indicating
> > that some number of inodes are partially allocated and others are of
> > an unknown file type (shown below). Could you tell me more about
> > what these messages actually mean and maybe give me some
> > advice on tracking down such file system errors during the fast file
> > system creation in newfs.

The first thing I would be worrying about would be whether you're
suffering a subtle problem with your IDE interface; if you're hosting
over the top of Helios, I presume that you're using a virtual disk
emulation?

Failing that, it could be that you have the Dave Rivers Memorial
Problem; note that nobody has been able to reproduce his symptoms in a
controlled environment so we can't actually tell what's going on.