Date:      Fri, 1 Sep 2000 09:05:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Thrumbar Pathfinder <Thrumbar@Worldnet.att.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org, arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Auto-Mount/Dismount optional drivers development???

You can imagine the decisions and resulting activities, in the case of
removable media, being made in a userland daemon listening for device
events.  I guess the pertinent question then is, what is the best way in
which to deliver this sort of event information to userland processes?  To
what extent can this event stream be abstracted so as to not represent
driver-specific events ("cdrom device (whatever) was ejected" in a cdrom
schema as opposed to something acd-specific), and should it be extensible
to allow the representing of driver-specific events.  Polling for
device availability in userland seems like a less pretty solution.

Right now, devices in /devfs appear based on whether or not the drive is
available, not media.  I wonder if there would be an appropriate way for
events to be notified via a combination of kqueue() and devfs nodes?

  Robert N M Watson