Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2005 18:42:02 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        "William H. Magill" <magill@mcgillsociety.org>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ssh compatibility question

On Mon, 2005-Jan-10 10:40:49 -0500, William H. Magill wrote:
>On 10 Jan, 2005, at 04:51, Peter Jeremy wrote:
>>On Wed, 2004-Dec-29 16:31:47 -0500, William H. Magill wrote:
>>>Ok, I have FreeBSD 5.3 running on one Alpha and Tru64 Unix on another.
>>
>>You don't mention which Tru64 you are running but 5.1B includes a
>>commercial ssh2 implementation and can be configured to use OpenSSH
>>for SSH1.  (Unfortunately, the configuration files are completely
>>different and incompatible with OpenSSH).
>
>5.1.a -- But if you would look down the message a bit, you would see:
>
>SSH Version 1.2.27 [alpha-dec-osf5.1], protocol version 1.5.

I realised you were running a 5.1 variant with a fairly old SSH.
I meant to imply that upgrading to 5.1B may be an alternative.

>The problem with upgrading (building) ssh on Tru64 from 1.2.27 to
>OpenSSH_3.8.1p1 turns out to be all of the pre-requisites.
>There are more of them, and they less than trivially upgraded, than
>it first appears. (The setloads I found have even more problems.)

I've had a chat to a colleague who built OpenSSH on 5.1A and he says
it was fairly trivial.  All you need is prngd (maybe - neither of us
can remember if /dev/random is part of 5.1A), OpenSSL and maybe perl5
(which comes with Tru64).

>Of course, if Freebsd-alpha could deal with BSD disk labels, then
>there would be no problem at all. I could just cross mount the disks
>as I can between Tru64 and SuSE (nice thing about StoragWorks shelves).

What do you define as a "BSD disk label"?  FreeBSD deals with its own
BSD disk labels just fine.

>... note that I'm believing the documentation here -- which says that
>a FreeBSD disk is not compatible with any other "xBSD" or Linux.

Note that that statement is not the same as stating that FreeBSD
cannot read UFS disks from xBSD etc.  FreeBSD 4.x and later support
softupdates and FreeBSD 5.x and later support UFS2.  AFAIK, neither of
these are supported on other free Unices.  Note that FreeBSD 4.x
cannot read a standard FreeBSD 5.x filesystem.

> And
>the fact that I know that TRU64 labeled disks were not acceptable to
>bsdlabel on FreeBSD when I tried to mount them.

This would appear to be a regression.  I'm sure I've been able to mount
Tru64 UFS partitions in the past.  Can you post:
- Tru64 "disklabel -r DISKNAME"
- FreeBSD "bsdlabel -A -m alpha DISKNAME"
- What happens (error message) when FreeBSD tries to mount the Tru64 partition.

--
Peter Jeremy