Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 1995 07:07:02 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, j@uriah.heep.sax.de
Subject:   Re: disklabel -r -w rz2 rzxx

>> It already does.  The known parameters are available for the whole
>> drive and can easily be used for dangerously dedicated drives, e.g.,
>>
>> 	disklabel /dev/rsd0 |
>> 	sed -e 's/^rpm: 0$/rpm: 3600/' -e 's/^interleave: 0$/interleave: 1/' |
>> 	disklabel -R -r /dev/rsd0 /dev/stdin
>>
>> Here the sed commands substitute some of the unknown values with
>> possibly-bogus but working values.

>Hmm, interesting.  For which devices?

All those whose size can be determined automatically: wd (except for old
drives), sd, vn.

>Short of a real empty disk to test with, i've only been playing with
>vn devices :), and all i've got was:

>Dec 21 00:19:43 uriah /kernel: vn0: invalid primary partition table: no magic

This is normal.  It might be necessary to start with a clean MBR with no
magic.  I created a vn file by dd'ing from /dev/zero so it was very
clean.

>(I would have played with floppies, too, but i realized that they are
>not even supposed to work.  Though it's probably not a big deal to
>make them work.)

We never committed the support for them.  I tested with floppies here.

Bruce