Date:      Wed, 18 Nov 1998 16:27:26 -0500
From:      "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
To:        Conrad Minshall <conrad@apple.com>
Cc:        Cejka Rudolf <cejkar@dcse.fee.vutbr.cz>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is it soup yet? FreeBSD NFS

On Wed, 18 Nov 1998, Conrad Minshall wrote:

> Do the 43 file names left behind start with ".nfs" or are they the original
> filenames created by the "tar xvf -"?

Been there, done that.  This happens to me all the time if this is a NFSv3
mount (which is what Solaris will default to).  I remember once long ago
when we were first doing v3 there where some issues about filehandles for
directories, I remember this being one of the side-effects of that
problem.  I don't remember if that was ever resolved.

short term fix: use NFSv2  (mount -o vers=2 freebsd.server:/path
/local/path)

--
David Cross