Date:      Sat, 27 Jul 2002 16:32:50 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Paulo Roberto <nirv199@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: starting fetchmail from ppp.linkup on FreeBSD 4.6

On Sat, Jul 27, 2002 at 07:07:10AM -0700, Paulo Roberto wrote:

> I am having some trouble trying to run fetchmail in daemon mode, being
> started from /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup in FreeBSD 4.6.
> At the /var/log/ppp.log I get:
> ppp[56]: tun0: Command: papchap: ! sh /usr/local/bin/fetchmail -v -f
> /root/.fetchmailrc >> /tmp/FETCHMAIL.LOG
> But no mail is retrieved (yup, I sent myself dozens of emails to test
> it) and even no output is directed to my test file.
> Does fetchmail needs any special parameter to be run at ppp.linkup?

Well, fetchmail is clearly being run.  fetchmail will use syslog for
most of it's logging needs, so look in /var/log/maillog for traces of
what it's doing.

Looks like you've got some sort of error in your .fetchmailrc.
Unfortunately, not being clairvoyant, we can't divine the contents of
the file and that makes it a tad difficult to come up with any
constructive suggestions.  You'll have to post the file for us to see.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

PS. Do you really mean to run fetchmail in daemon mode?  The fetchmail man
page says:

       In  daemon  mode,  fetchmail puts itself in background and
       runs forever, querying each specified host and then sleep-
       ing for the given polling interval.

which would probably mean your system trying to dial-up every few
minutes.

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK