Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 2002 02:47:42 +1200 (NZST)
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@scoop.co.nz>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de>
Subject:   Re: failure to build gcc in make world

I've worked through this more thoroughly, but I still can't get a
successful make buildworld.

I've thoroughly checked my source tree.  I've compared all files'
checksums against a known good source tree on a different system which
compiles correctly  (it's a later freebsd running gcc 3).
Something's wrong with my build environment.

The bit that's failing checks to see if it's gcc compiling itself and does
different things accordingly.  I presume this is about avoiding linking
the new gcc against the one that's about to get over-written.  Somehow
this check is going wrong.  If I do `CC=gcc make buildworld` then it gets
past this point, but it fails later on when building libg2c.

Does anyone know what might be going wrong?