Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 1995 11:03:19 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        urcf@fang.cs.sunyit.edu (Rodney C. Forbes)
Cc:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A few questions.

> I'm hoping someone can answer the following questions, because I have not been
> able to find answers to them myself.
> Just in case it matters for any/all of the questions, I am running
> FreeBSD 2.0.5-RELEASE.
>
> 1. Everytime I try to compile an application written for X, make won't work.
> 	I run xmkmf to create Makefile from Imakefile.
> 	I then run make.
> 	I always get output like the following:
> 		"Makefile", line 186: Missing dependency operator
> 		[other similar lines cut for brevity]
> 		"Makefile", line 280: Missing dependency operator
> 		Fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
> 	What am I doing wrong, or how can I fix it.

You are mixing tabs and spaces in your Imakefile.  The preprocessor is
not changing these when it puts out the Makefile.  Then make, since
it is POSIX compliant, is choking.

Look at the locations (like 186 and 280) in the Makefile, find the
corresponding lines in the Imakefile, and fix them.

Then rerun xmkmf.

> 2. I can use tip to connect to the modem and then use AT commands to dial out,
> 	but I can't use it to dial a system in my remote/phones files.  It
> 	doesn't recognize the phone number if the entry in /etc/remote
> 	references a number in /etc/phones.  If /etc/modems exists, it just
> 	pretty much croaks.  This has been happening since FreeBSD 2.0-RELEASE.
> 	What can I do to get it to work like it is supposed to.

Dunno.  I suspect that you aren't starting it with the correct options,
or you are incorrectly using a special character (like '@') in one of
the files.

> 3. What is the format for quota.user/quota.group files?  I know this was asked
> 	before, but I didn't see an answer in the mailing list.

Man edquota.

> 4. How can I get xinit to connect to xdm's server rather than try to load it's
> 	own.  I believe xdm's default configuration is set to allow connections
> 	from anyone, anywhere.  Xinit has options for -query, -indirectquery,
> 	..., but I couldn't get them to work.  Xinit says server load failed,
> 	then it says something about connection to :0.0 refused.

xinit is the wrong way to start up X in this case.

If you are running xdm already, then -query is the correct way to start
the server.

Obviously, if you use xinit to do it, then xinit will pass the option to
the xserver, xdm will allocate the server, and subsequent attempts by
the other programs besides the server started by xinit will fail, being
unable to open the display while xdm has it allocated.

This is intentional, since otherwise you could eavesdrop on password entry
to xdm.

If you are trying to start an X login, and leave your console like that,
then you should do it using /etc/ttys.  There is a sample configuration
in the X documentation that comes with the server package.   You will have
to find its location from the installed file list for the package, or
get the distribution directly from ftp.xfree86.org.

If you are trying to start an X server after you have logged in, you
should just use xinit and should not be using xdm at all.

If you are using xinit and xinit is failing, probably you have XFree86
configured improperly: either the XF86Config file is wrong, or you
are using the wrong server, or you have a getty on your mouse, etc..

You should examine the documentation that comes with XFree86 to find
out which is your problem, then correct it.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.