Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 1999 00:37:54 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        "Kevin G. Eliuk" <kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net>, Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MSDOS filesystems being corrupted?

On Mon, Jan 11, 1999 at 11:00:19PM +1030, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> > > I have seen this behavior, but only on floppies, that's wierd about your
> > > norton, Scandisk doesn't give me any problems on my msdos partition, but I
> > > don't put large files there. I mostly just read from that disk.
> >
> > After a recent botch with partition magic I was able to recover 1.5MB of
> > files, reformat the partition and replace them.  Other than some serious
> > fragmentation as far as I know nothing was lost, actually I think the
> > performance improved :)
> >
> > I believe this was after a Dec22 build.
> >
> > Could it be something in NU.
>
> I forgot to reply to this when I investigated further; I copied another large
> file onto my msdos partition, and after rebooting into win95 Norton Utilities
> complained about having found a damaged partition. Cancelling the dialog box
> and running M$ ScanDisk revealed no errors - therefore something is being done
> by the MSDOS filesystem code which ScanDisk is happy with, but NU is not.
>
> Should I open a PR on this?

[Warning: newbie guesswork follows]

Just in case this is related... a long while ago there were some FAT
partitions that I wrote to occasionally from FreeBSD-2.1.5, OS/2, DOS5
and NT4. Yes I know DOS writes were hell with 2.1.5 but I did it anyway.

The outcome sounded a bit similar. Nortons under DOS would find errors
in a FAT partition that NT didn't find, and fix them. Then NT4 would
say it was damaged, fix it, and after that Nortons would say it was
damaged again, and so on. (I don't remember having problems with OS/2
but can't be real sure.)

There seemed no way to make both of them happy, but no data was lost
(though I didn't push it). I remember directory names sometimes
appearing as files named with strange characters (in NT or DOS? not
both) until one fix or the other... sorry it was all so long ago. I
considered tracking it down with a disk editor but then the problems
with FreeBSD writing to FAT disappeared when I stopped running Nortons
and NT :-)

I'm not sure where to place the blame for the old or the new behaviour,
but it sounds possible that some long-standing Nortons/Windows quibble
could be having an unknown effect which would hold some of the answers.
FreeBSD could have been trolling rather than making the final blow.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-