Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2001 21:03:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Trevin Chow <tmchow@sfu.ca>
To:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Can't Telnet but can SSH?

I think I'm having some problems with my firewall rules
regarding telnet and it may have to do with my NS setup.

1) Whenever I try to telnet to 2 external hosts (my university and another
host), I connect, and right before it displays the "login:" prompt,
it says "Connection closed by foreign host".

However, I can SSH to these same hosts.

2) I'm acting as my own NS for my domain.

On my freebsd box, if I do an `nslookup` and `set type=SOA`, and
enter my domain, everything is okay and it reports everything as expected.

However, on an external system, if I do the same thing, it says:
"can't find mydomain.com: Non-existent host/domain".

It should also be noted that if I do a regular `nslookup` WITHOUT `set
type=SOA`, then then it resolves to my correct IP on both internal and
external boxes.

Is there some type of firewall traffic that maybe I'm denying?
I'm using a default deny based firewalling system and the onyl rule I have
to allow DNS traffic in /etc/rc.firewall is:

add pass udp from any to ${oip} 53

Maybe I'm missing something?