Date:      Sun, 12 Aug 2001 23:13:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org>
To:        Mike Porter <mike.porter@xrxgsn.com>
Cc:        John Merryweather Cooper <jmcoopr@webmail.bmi.net>, Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: What is the magical incantation necessary to print to /dev/ulpt0

On Sun, 12 Aug 2001, Mike Porter wrote:

> products.  I *am* still curious as to the real cost/performance benefit of
> using the host rather than a hardware renderer; it would seem to me that
> there is more data to transfer, and over a relatively slow interface like
> the parallel port, it would seem to me to be terribly expensive from a
> time/CPU time perspective.  Of course, my logic could be faulty, or my

Yes, there is more data to transfer, but USB has helped solve this
problem. But regardless of speed, the consumer looks only at one thing.
$$$. It costs money to put hardware in the printer.
And when all (well, from marketing's perspective) your customers already
have a printer running windows, then why not use the computer and make the
printer cheaper. In the all the current Zxx series, the host driver
performs all the half-toning and shingling of the data. The printers
actually have hardware 'rotater' code that formats the data for the
printhead. In the upcoming release, this 'rotation' will be done in the
host computer. This saves alot of chip real estate since the new printer
has larger more complicated printheads.

Jim

Jim Freeze
jim@freeze.org