Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2000 21:58:34 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Marc Wandschneider <marcw@lanfear.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MAKEDEV not doing anythign

On Sun, Feb 20, 2000 at 10:31:56PM -0800, Marc Wandschneider wrote:

> moo!
>
> 	so, i added a new CD ROM drive to my FreeBSD 3.3 machine (HP Writer) and
> there are no devices in /DEV for it.
>
> 	So, I'm trying to create one by typing:
>
> 	./MAKEDEV cd1
>
> 	which does absolutely nothing.  Similiarily MAKEDEV scd1 does nothing.
>
> 	What do I have to do to create the device files for the new drive?  dmesg
> definitely shows that the drive is cd1, whereas the other drive is cd0 ...
>
> 	what am i doing wrong?

The MAKEDEV syntax got weird at some point. When you say, './MAKEDEV
cd1', MAKEDEV takes that to mean you want to create one cd-device,
namely, cd0. If you check the file creation times, you'll see
'./MAKEDEV cd1' _does_ do something. It re-creates cd0. You need to
try cd2 to make two, cd0 and cd1.

If the drive is a SCSI one, you want the cd-device. The scd-device is
for ancient Sony CDROMs with a proprietary controller card.