Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 13:17:00 -0700
From:      Leonard Chung <leonard@ssl.berkeley.edu>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        kline@tao.thought.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bad IDE Drive

Yes, I'm aware of the differing RPMs. SCSI drives actually now are up to
15,000RPM to it shouldn't be long before IDE is up to 10KRPM.

The differing RPMs is more of a marketing decision than any inherent
limitation in IDE itself. SCSI is a premium product, so it gets the higher
RPMs first and sometimes bigger buffers, but again, this is due not to the
SCSI bus having higher performance. Where the focus is on spindle speed for
SCSI, the focus for IDE is on areal density. IDE drives actually give
better performance for the dollar in MAPS (megabyte accesses per second),
KAPS (kilobyte accesses/s), and much better performance in sequential
performance (i.e. all round) and for that price, you get the benefit of
redundancy. So with IDE you get better performance and less cost.

However, for the 5400 and 7200RPM drives, for almost all manufacturers,
irregardless of the interface, the actual drive mechanism is the same.
Drive manufacturers are all losing big $$$. Using common components across
all of their product lines saves money. Since the moving parts are the most
common reason for failure rather than the solid state interface, the
reliability on modern IDE and SCSI hard drives is generally the same. For
SCSI hard drives that run at higher RPM (hotter and generally considered to
be more "fragile" and sensitive to environment), I'd be very surprised to
hear that a new 5400RPM drive, whether SCSI or IDE, is much less reliable
than a new 10,000RPM drive.

One other consideration to remember is that of the environment in which a
drive is functioning -- most SCSI drives are owned by people or
organizations with sufficient technical expertise (not to mention money) to
know proper care and feeding of HDs and computers, while IDE  drives'
(especially low end ones) owners have a much higher "bozo" factor.

Leonard

--
Leonard Chung - <leonard@ssl.berkeley.edu>
SETI@home - The Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence @ home