Date:      Sat, 22 Mar 2014 17:57:34 -0700
From:      "Chad J. Milios" <milios@ccsys.com>
To:        Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: reason 23 why we've moved to linux

> On Mar 22, 2014, at 2:44 PM, Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org> wro=
te:
>=20
>> On 03/22/14 14:00, CyberLeo Kitsana wrote:
>>> On 03/22/2014 01:57 PM, Fernando Apestegu=C3=ADa wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> Something like ivoras@ suggested two years ago?
>>>=20
>>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2010-March/060296.html
>> Something like this?
>>=20
>> http://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/branches/2014Q1/
>=20
> No, not like that. A continuously updated moving branch one step down in e=
xperimentation.
> -Nathan

I believe it is indeed what you are looking for [in spirit and in theory at l=
east], hence the branch description: "This is a stable branch which will be m=
aintained for 3 months..." and various commit descriptions marked "MFH" i.e.=
 "merged from head" ranging from 3 months to 3 days ago. Now, whether or not=
 this branch lives up to it's intent is another story all together. That par=
t, I couldn't say because...

I, for one, admit to just now learning of this branch's existence. Then agai=
n, I never went looking for such a thing since, despite maintaining the depl=
oyment of 1300 ports on 130 servers [from a seat on a golf cart during the t=
rips between the front and back nine], I so very seldom stumble upon a failu=
re in ports HEAD that isn't fixed within mere moments or that I can't conven=
iently back-burner and have solved for me over the course of a day by a quic=
k holler to the helpful and friendly folk on freebsd-ports@, but I guess tha=
t's just me.

FWIW, I only use 9.2 in production and I do share your underlying sentiment t=
hat 9.2 should still be the release marked "Production" and 10.0 should have=
 been marked "New Technology" at least until 10.1. I think I recall the issu=
e that triggered this long and windy thread was clang related. At least Free=
BSD has notoriously thorough and long-lived legacy support.

FWIW, in my job I still use the old pkg_ tools, don't need portmaster, poudr=
iere or any of that young punk noise, just the base tools with an occasional=
 dash of svn. I've never felt an uncomfortable stampede of masses forcing my=
 grumpy old self onto newer and better tech before I was good and ready for i=
t, like happens to me while involved with many of the various types of Linix=
 deployments I maintain, though the fear of such a thing happening to FreeBS=
D has always been real, what with the rapid pace of its development happenin=
g these days along with some people's ever-present nagging to "keep up with t=
he Linuxes" regarding this or that latest shiny red button.

FWIW, and I believe it's worth a lot, on the two VM's I fiddle with 10.x on,=
 I've found all of the new tools to be relatively easy to learn, well engine=
ered, well maintained and [for better or worse] rapidly evolving, only not q=
uite as well tested as I might like, and on that last point I can concede th=
at I understand the OP's pain.

I, for one, would like to thank all of the devs at FreeBSD for creating and m=
aintaining the smoothest, most flexible and overall best operating system I'=
ve ever had the pleasure of working with. I am very much looking forward to d=
eploying 10.1 on almost every one of the production systems I maintain and I=
'm confident that when 10.x is granted that .1 badge by release engineering t=
hat I will confidently and smoothly be able to. I can't imagine where I'd be=
 in a rigid world of only the fractured Linux fiefdoms, oligarchies and hips=
ter drum-circles. Probably dead under a bridge with a needle in my arm, a gu=
n in my mouth, a noose around my neck and an empty bottle of pills laying be=
side me.=