Date:      Tue, 05 Sep 2000 11:35:34 +0100
From:      Konstantin Chuguev <Konstantin.Chuguev@dante.org.uk>
To:        John Toon <j.a.toon@btinternet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Shared Memory Issues

John Toon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've scoured through the net and the mailing archives, but was unable to
> find any satisfactory information on a certain problem I'm suffering at
> the moment.
>
> After getting the dreaded "shmget() failed" error message, I have since
> tried several recompiles of the kernel to fix the problem.

The same with me.

> I added
>
> options SHMMAXPGS=16385
> options SHMMAX=(SHMMAXPGS*PAGE_SIZE+1)
>
> to my new kernel and recompiled.

I tried this without success.

> However, under XFree86 4.0, I still seem to be getting shared memory
> issues.

I'm using XFree86 3.3.6 with the server of 3.3.5. The problem is not in
XFree, but in imlib.

> Compupic refuses to start under GNOME issuing
>
> X Error of failed request:  BadAccess (attempt to access private
> resource denied)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  146 (MIT-SHM)
>   Minor opcode of failed request:  1 (X_ShmAttach)
>   Serial number of failed request:  2961
>
> Yet works under VTWM - until I load up a few applications, when it
> terminates again, with the same problem. More annoyingly, FXTV also dies
> with the same problem.
>
> Next, I tried another kernel, this time with the following options:
>
> options         SEMMNI=100
> options         SEMMNS=300
> options         SEMUME=100
> options         SEMMNU=150
> options         SHMMAXPGS=16385
>
> I omitted the SHMMAX option, as I have read that this option is now
> deprecated. Unfortunately, this kernel was not better.

For me, playing with SHM options made things worse than it was in the
default SHM kernel configuration.

> I'm currently running FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE.
>
> Several questions;
>
> 1. If I upgrade to 4.1-STABLE (which I will be soon), will the shared
> memory issue disappear?

I doubt so. I'm running 5.0-CURRENT, and still have the problem.

--
          * *        Konstantin Chuguev - Application Engineer
       *      *              Francis House, 112 Hills Road