Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2002 13:14:14 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
To:        nate@yogotech.com
Cc:        ertr1013@student.uu.se, cjm2@earthling.net, charon@seektruth.org, dsyphers@uchicago.edu, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Firewall config non-intuitiveness

In message: <15445.44102.288461.155113@caddis.yogotech.com>
            Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com> writes:
: If I enable the clutch in my car, my car moves (assuming it's in gear).
: If I disable it, the power is no longer going to the drive wheels.

That's not quite right, but it is a good analogy.  If you disable your
clutch, then you are going to have to shift without it and deal with
putting it into gear at stops.  If you enable your clutch, then you
can use it to help in shifting.  This isn't quite the same as what you
said, and an analogous condition exists with the firewall rules.

If you engage your clutch, then you can shift.  If you disengage your
clutch then your car will go if it is gear (and won't if it isn't).

Also, when you enable apm, you aren't enabling power management.
That's done in the BIOS.  You are enabling the OS using the power
management.  If you set apm_enable to NO, then the OS doesn't enable
power management, but at the same time it doesn't go down to the BIOS
to turn off the power management settings in the BIOS.  The effects in
this case are almost identical, but some BIOSes will still spin down
the hard disk, etc even when APM isn't engaged.

When you say sendmail_enable=no, it doesn't prevent another mailer
from binding to port 25.  It just fails to start sendmail, which is
the default behavior for the system.  If you have sendmail_enable=NO,
it doesn't go through and delete the mail queue, or make it impossible
to run sendmail from a cron job.

I'd argue that the firewall_enable is poorly named, but does the same
thing.  At most we should rename it to
ipfw_maybe_load_ipfw_and_then_load_rules to be 100% correct.
firewall_enable=YES means, right now:
	1) If ipfw isn't in the kernel, load it.
	2) load the rules
firewall_enable=NO means do nothing.  Same as when sendmail_enable=NO.

Warner