Date:      Thu, 2 Jul 1998 21:31:40 -0400
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org>
To:        dannyman <dannyman@dannyland.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New ports scheme

On Thu, Jul 02, 1998 at 10:22:03AM -0500, dannyman wrote:
> Ermm ... if we're going to muck with the ports directory structure anyway,
> maybe we might consider having more than one directory level?  like
> net/irc/bitchx, net/ftp/ncftp3, etc ... ?

Except that there's a a very strong contingent believing that modern
technology has outdated the deep hierarchy in favour of the more
flattened model our current system has.

That said, if you propose some new hierarchy, I'll support you.  :)

You do realize that at the current ports system size, that means
categorizing in excess of 1500 ports.

--
This .sig is not innovative, witty, or profund.