Date:      Sat, 6 Jul 2019 22:05:54 +0200
From:      Michael Tuexen <tuexen@freebsd.org>
To:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: autobooting FreeBSD on Black Bird

> On 6. Jul 2019, at 20:13, Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Jul 06, 2019 at 02:03:18PM +0200, Michael Tuexen wrote:
>> Using these settings I would expect the system to boot FreeBSD
>> automatically after 5 seconds. This does not happen. The system
>> also tests for PXE boot although not configured above.
>
> I just yesterday updated the wiki article:
>
>  https://wiki.freebsd.org/powerpc/Raptor/Blackbird
>
> based on my experiences with the new box sitting at my left elbow :-)
> So, it's possible to make it work.  Our settings appear _almost_
> identical.
>
> OTOH that article still has the instructions I was given to set up
> remote access (at Integricloud).  So, I *did* do the 'ifconfig enP4p1s0f2'
> dance, whether or not it was neccessary.
I didn't download the image on the host, but on a separate computer and
then created a USB stick. However, this didn't work since I could not get
USB to work. So I used a DVD (after adding the DVD reader to the Black Bird)
and could install FreeBSD from there. FreeBSD also sees no USB at all.
Not sure why. But Ethernet is working.

> So I would either try that, or set Network to "DHCP on a specific
> interface", which I think I had to specify, as well.
OK. I did that, but I still have to manually choose that I want to
boot FreeBSD.

> Let me know what works for you and I will update the wiki article.
> I expect we will have more users joining us.
I hope that...

Best regards
Michael