Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 2017 00:38:27 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Karl Vogel <vogelke@pobox.com>
Cc:        Manish Jain <bourne.identity@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anything specific to keep in mind restoring from rsync?

In freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 689, Issue 6, Message: 4
On Fri, 18 Aug 2017 16:20:07 -0400 Karl Vogel <vogelke@pobox.com> wrote:
 > On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 10:59:33PM +1000, Ian Smith wrote:

 > > rsync is great for 'user data', but I'm not sure whether it handles hard
 > > links properly, which you'll want for system directories at least.
 >
 >   Use the "-H" option to handle hard links.  This might burn you if
 >   you're providing a list of files to rsync instead of letting it roam
 >   over an entire tree; if all the linked files aren't included in your
 >   list, rsync has no way of knowing about them.

Thanks Karl, and for the script.  I suppose Manish was aware of that.

 > > Do you have some reason not to use the canonical dump(8) and restore(8)?
 >
 >   I avoid those because I copy between different systems (Linux, Solaris,
 >   BSD) much more often than between identical ones.

Fair enough, I mostly just use tar/gzip on a Linux sbox I'm stuck with.

In the specific instance Manish referred to, i.e. just increasing the /
filesystem from 30 to 40GB, my first thought was to use dump/restore.

However, despite not having used it myself - and still assuming UFS -
this seems a model job for growfs(8).  The backup first is of course
sensible, but by just resizing the partition with gpart and then using
growfs, all that extra work should be obviated, if I'm reading it right.

cheers, Ian