Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2006 09:49:31 +0100
From:      Mikolaj Rydzewski <freebsd@bsd.miki.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org, freebsd-eclipse@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is it possible to run eclipse-SDK-3.2.1-linux-gtk on FreeBSD

Ronald Klop wrote:
>> Is it possible somehow to work in eclipse-SDK-3.2.1-linux-gtk on
>> FreeBSD,
>> may be I need linux-jdk?
>
> Do you know what ports are?
> See: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html
>
> 1. Update your ports to a recent version.
> 2. cd /usr/ports/java/eclipse
> 3. make
> 4. follow the instructions
> 5. make install
> 6. make clean
>
> Success.
Really? Does it work for you? Fresh system (portupgrade -a), native,
fresh eclipse 3.2:

    * jsp editor does not work (error while processing dirty regions...)
    * eclipse crashes while creating dynamic web project

I had to downgrade to eclipse 3.1 for jsp editor to work.

As a matter of fact, I'm considering switching back to linux (after
three great years with freebsd). I'm focusing more and more on java at
work, unfortunately java quality on freebsd is still very poor.