Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 1999 18:05:42 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        kris@airnet.net (Kris Kirby)
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: struct nfssrv_sock bloated (> 256bytes)

> struct nfssrv_sock bloated (> 256bytes)
> Try reducing NFS_UIDHASHSIZ
> struct nfsuid bloated (> 128bytes)
> Try unionizing the nu_nickname and nu_flag fields
>
> Machine is 166 MHz Multia, 512K cache, 24 MB ram, 528MB Internal hard
> drive. FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE, custom kernel, but this error message has
> appeared since the installation floppy (GENERIC). Had to do a FTP
> install. Not my choice, but what worked. I've tweaked NFS_UIDHASHSIZ
> back to 15, still the problem remains. Should I try for lower?

I believe that it's a pointer size issue.

There may also be a structure packing problem, as well, since
nfssvc_sock (_not_ nfssrv_sock) contains a set of 5 integers
(presumably 32 bits) and a u_int32_t, which may not be tightly
packed.

Basically, you will end up with NFS_UIDHASHSIZ LIST_HEAD's, which
are structures containing a single structure pointer.

Similarly, the TAILQ_ENTRY and LIST_ENTRY in nfsuid are larger,
and the various other elements in that structure are likely to
be poorly packed.

I really don't understand the nfsuid bloat, in this context,
unless it's structure packing.  I know that the Alpha "has issues"
with unaligned data access; you may not be able to get the size
down by repacking it, and still have it work at reasonable speed
(or at all), e.g. "#pragma pack(1)" at the top, "#pragma pack()"
at the bottom.

In either case, the diagnostic messages (from nfs_init()) are
non-fatal, so they should not prevent you using NFS, even though
they will continue to whine at you.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---