Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2003 12:19:32 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott+freebsd@fishballoon.org>
To:        Vallo Kallaste <kalts@estpak.ee>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange crash, possibly vinum-related

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 01:57:52PM +0200, Vallo Kallaste wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 10:58:28AM +0000, Scott Mitchell
> <scott+freebsd@fishballoon.org> wrote:
>
> > No takers?  Maybe someone who's done this (replacing a failed Vinum drive
> > on hot-swap SCSI hardware) before can at least tell me whether:
> >
> > 	- I should have done some camcontrol magic before rebuilding the drive?
> > 	- Rebuilding the drive without unmounting the volume first was just
> > 	  asking for trouble?
> > 	- -hackers or even -stable is a better venue for this kind of problem?
>
> What you want to hear? I'll advise you to not put critical data on the
> Vinum R5 volume. You did test this configuration thoroughly before
> putting online, did you? All this failing/replacing/rebuilding
> stuff? Better quiesce the volume (umount it) before rebuilding,
> doing otherwise causes data loss in my experience. You should use
> camcontrol when doing hot-swapping of drives. For the end, collect
> the debug information Greg Lehey (Vinum author) needs and submit it
> directly to him.

Thanks -- you've confirmed what I suspected, that I could have avoided the
problems I saw by being a bit more cautious.  My bad.

Out of interest though, why do you advise not putting critical data on a
Vinum R5 volume?  This one has been running fine for ~2 years under
reasonable loads.  The disk failure was the first time it's required any
attention at all, and it seems the problems I had with that were mostly of
my own making.  The mailing lists don't seem to be overrun with people
complaining that 'Vinum ate my files' :-)

Cheers,

	Scott