Date:      Sat, 26 Nov 2011 00:01:34 +0100
From:      Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tplink TL-WR1043ND access point is now ready (was Re: svn commit: r227926 - head/sys/mips/conf)

Am 24.11.2011 um 08:47 schrieb Adrian Chadd:

> http://code.google.com/p/freebsd-wifi-build/wiki/TpLinkTLWR1043ND
>=20
> I haven't yet tried building and testing a sysupgrade image, so please
> don't ask me how to update it via the default firmware webui. So to
> play this game you'll (for now) require a serial console.
>=20
> I do however have the unit running as a 2.4ghz 11n hostap, natively
> booting from flash with a 64k flash partition to store configuration
> data on.

Got it up and running, this is very nice. A couple comments and =
questions:

I managed to write the firmware image from OpenWrt's sys upgrade, so the =
format seems to be sane.  I *think* the TP-Link web interface should =
accept this image as well, but I haven't tested that.

People wanting to try this: as this moment, you do need the serial =
console, since the image will not allow you to log in over the network =
and become root (AFAICT).  If the cofnig that goes into the image is =
improved, I'm confident you can run this without console access.

Wifi speed seems to be decent, from an old MacBook I have lying around, =
I managed about 38 MB/s to and from my server using ssh and dd.

Is there a read-write filesystem for the flash, or are we limited to an =
archive in the cfg flash partition?

Is the root MFS copied to RAM, or is it read on demand?

I see that you went to some lengths creating your own config framework.  =
Why did you choose to not use the standard?

I haven't looked at nanobsd in ages, and I did see in the last status =
report that there is another attempt at creating an OpenWrt-like setup.  =
I'm currently running about six or seven OpenWrt routers (mostly at the =
extended family), and I'm interested in eventually replacing OpenWrt =
with FreeBSD.  Any guesses where a trimmed-down but fully functional =
(incl. ports) distribution might emerge?

Thanks for all your work, if you ever happen to come over to Hamburg, =
I'll have a beer waiting :-)

Stefan

--=20
Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>   Fon +49 151 14070811