Date:      Wed, 10 Feb 2010 12:46:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel Eischen <deischen@freebsd.org>
To:        Randall Stewart <rrs@lakerest.net>
Cc:        threads@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thinking about kqueue's and pthread_cond_wait

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010, Randall Stewart wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2010, at 9:04 AM, Daniel Eischen wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 10 Feb 2010, Randall Stewart wrote:
>>
>>> All:
>>>
>>> I have once again come around to thinking about joining pthread cond waits
>>> and
>>> kqueue's.
>>>
>>> After thinking about it, I think its doable.. with something like a:
>>>
>>> pthread_cond_wait_kqueue_np(kev, cond, mtx, ucontext)
>>>
>>> Then you can use kev inside a kqueue i.e.
>>> ret =  kevent(kq, kev, 1, outkev, 1, NULL);
>>>
>>> Now when you saw the event:
>>> if (kev.filter == EVFILT_UMTX){   /* not sure about the name here */
>>>     pthread_kqueue_cond_wait_ret_np(kev, cond, mtx, ucontext)
>>>     do_user_action(cond,mtx, ucontext);
>>> }
>>>
>>> Which would fill in the cond/mtx and ucontext for the user.
>>>
>>> Now does this sound useful to anyone.. i.e. should I spend the time
>>> making it work?
>>>
>>> The only down side to this is that it would have to allocate memory so
>>> one would need to do a:
>>>
>>> pthread_kqueue_cond_wait_free_np(kev)
>>>
>>> After you were done.. and I think it would be best for this to
>>> be a ONE_SHOT.. i.e. you have to re-arm it if the event happens...
>>> Of course until you free it that can be as simple as passing the kev
>>> back down again (i.e. no pthread_cond_wait_kqueue_np() needed).
>>>
>>> Comments? Thoughts?  i.e. especially is it worthwhile doing?
>>
>> Please don't mess with the pthread_ API like that :-)  If you
>> really want to munge them together, see my email to you a few
>> weeks ago last time you brought it up.'
>
> If I remember right your email was basically don't do it... I will
> go dig through the archives and re-read it all.

No, it was to add an interface or two to the kqueue/kevent API, not
to modify the pthread_ API (which shouldn't know anything about
kqueues).

I really think the OS is already given us the tools we need to
do the job simply enough.  You can easily use a pipe, socketpair,
or EVFILT_SIGNAL to wakeup a thread stuck in kevent().  You can
additionally use a mutex to protect data shared between thread
waiting in kevent() and other threads.

I don't see what problem this is trying to solve and I think
whatever solution you come up with involving mutexes/CVs is
not going to be any simpler and may even be more complex and
messy.  Mutexes and CVs are userland library thingies, not
kernel entities.  Yes, the umtx is a kernel entity, but it
alone does not give you mutexes and CVs.  So when you want
to mix kqueues and mutexes/CVs, you are involving another
userland library and this is what makes it messy.

--
DE