Date:      Wed, 4 Jan 2017 06:05:54 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Ernie Luzar <luzar722@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, Maciej Suszko <maciej@suszko.eu>
Subject:   Re: how to allow user toor login through ssh

On Wed, 04 Jan 2017 12:04:22 +0800, Ernie Luzar wrote:
> Polytropon wrote:
> > Moving SSH to a nonstandard port doesn't increase security per se,
> > but it reduces the "noise" of the log files significantly. Script
> > kiddies who only try on :22 can be dealt with; those who run a
> > portscan prior to the attack (more sophisticated, sometimes non-
> > automatic attacks) will see the new SSH port and try there.
>
> In 15 years of using a high value port number for remote ssh access and
> never having a single login attempt is what I call security. Now in most
> cases portmap just checks a small number of known port numbers. To run
> portmap on the complete range of possible port numbers takes a long time
> and to do that while rolling through a range of ip address may take many
> days that is why it just not done.

It's usually limited to dedicated attacks, not those that common
script kiddies perform "en masse". :-)

> > An additional idea is to use SSH "port knocking" where the SSH
> > port needs to be enabled by a specific action performed on a
> > different port. The result can be time-controlled, or the port
> > becomes unavailable after logout again.
>
> yea I played with it before. If I remember correctly it adds and removes
> firewall rules on the fly. I don't want my firewall played with.

Yes, firewall rule changing is one option. Another one might
be to start and stop the SSH daemon.

> > There still is the approach of allowing a non-root SSH login for
> > a user (UID != 0) that is permitted to use su, sudo or super.
> > In this case, the "PermitRootLogin" option can be kept on "no"
> > securely. Of course also make sure that _this_ user account has
> > a strong password (or better, uses keys).
>
> I have a user like this. The problem is created files or directories are
> owned by this user. Only way to get ownership of root is to be logged in
> as root or toor or use the chown command.

A far simpler solution is to perform the "become root" command as
the first action of that user. This can even be automated using
~/.login. A command like "su -l root" or "sudo su -l root" will
be executed automatically and _might_ prompt for an additional
root password, depending on configuration.

> I added this to /etc/ssh/sshd_config
> Match Address x.x.x.x/32
>      PermitRootLogin yes
>
> x.x.x.x being the ip address of the pc I use from home to login.
> This locked me out all together.
> The /var/log/auth.log file shows this error message
> Directive 'Subsystem' is not allowed within a Match block
>
> What is it complaining about?

That block needs to be at the end of the sshd_config file. You
could also use an "implicit end statement" like this:

	Match Address x.x.x.x/32
		PermitRootLogin yes
	Match all

Otherwise, sshd will complain at startup, and there won't be a SSH
service listening on the otherwise enabled port.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany