Date:      Wed, 2 May 2012 01:31:36 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Erich Dollansky <erich@alogreentechnologies.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UFS Crash and directories now missing

On Wed, 2 May 2012 06:07:23 +0700, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tuesday 01 May 2012 20:43:43 Polytropon wrote:

> > >     After realising  I lack ton of  knowledge, especially how the
> > > internals work. I'm using this advice:-) .
> >
> > Except buying (good) books, you can also search for
> > articles on the web. For example, "A Fast File System
> > for UNIX" by M. K. McKusick is very interesting (at
> > least it was for me when I lost all my important data).
> >
> you wanted to say 'real man do not need a backup'?

No. Real men don't eat quiche. And real programmers don't
use Pascal. Also, stupidity must be punished (even if it's
me who is stupid), and it _will_ be done. Always and
repeatedly. You only learn the hard way. :-)

> > Some fs-related articles here:
> > http://www.mckusick.com/articles.html
> >
> This is one advantage of systems like FreeBSD. If the need
> arises, you can do it yourself.

Exactly, and you're not depending on buying expensive software
that might not cover your particular problem case. The documentation
of all the "inner elements" of FreeBSD are present, and you can
learn (in worst case) everything yourself to solve the problem.
As other skilled persons have estimated and experienced the
need for professional tools, they've created them. Many of the
free tools can cope with the expensive ones designed for proprietary
platforms. The "default action" of UNIX ("if in doubt, do nothing
and let the master decide") can save your data, whereas the
habit of "repairing" things can make things worse (which includes
automounting r/w, fiddling with the FS or other nonsense that
destroys data).

> > 	The docs that used to live in this directory now exist on the wiki:
> > 	http://wiki.sleuthkit.org/
> >
> It must be a disease.

TSK had _good_ documentation locally installed. I don't really
understand what's the idea behind moving it to a location that
can only be accessed via Internet connection. Really, it's not
_that_ much (hundreds of MB) that you couldn't leave it in the
install... sad, just sad...

Again, programs like portdowngrade help a lot. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany