Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 02:12:59 -0600
From:      "Brent" <bierblb@netins.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   make world and a mirror type backup

Hey everyone!

I have a couple different questions, and I thought I would try them in the
same email.

First, I have been running FreeBSD for some years now, but never really had
to update the source, because I usually could just rebuild the machine.  Now
that I have to, after I cvsup the src, are there any easy steps to take to
update with the least amount of problems and downtime?  I also am away from
the machine, so I was wondering if I could do this remotely.  I did read
about make world, but what does that command actually do?

Second, I would like to have a working backup of the server with all of its
files over to another machine like a mirror.  It doesn't have to be a live
copy.  Could update overnight.  Has anyone got this to work successively,
and if so with what program?  Is rdist a good option for this?

Please send any replies cc to bierblb@netins.net since I am not on the list.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

Brent Bierstedt