Date:      18 Mar 2000 09:33:59 +0100
From:      sperber@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de (Michael Sperber [Mr. Preprocessor])
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>, brent@kearneys.ca, questions@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org, jfn@enteract.com
Subject:   Re: AMD Athlon and booting

>>>>> "Mike" == Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org> writes:

>> >>>>> "Mike" == Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG> writes:

Mike> This has nothing to do with Athlon processors and everything to do with
Mike> buggy BIOS code that doesn't set the "extended keyboard present" bit.
Mike> Feel free to check the (very simple) code in boot2 that performs keyboard
Mike> detection, and if you've got any better ideas on how to make this work
Mike> properly, we're all ears. 8)

>> This is untrue, at least in general.  It is a timing problem at least
>> on some Athlon boards.  On the MSI 6195, if you increase the timing
>> parameters in probe_keyboard.c, the keyboard will get detected just fine.

Mike> I don't know what you're smoking, but there is no "probe_keyboard.c"
Mike> involved in this.  The keyboard probe code is in boot2.c, and it looks
Mike> like this:

Mike>    313              if (opts & 1 << RBX_PROBEKBD) {
Mike>    314                  i = *(uint8_t *)PTOV(0x496) & 0x10;
Mike>    315                  printf("Keyboard: %s\n", i ? "yes" : "no");
Mike>    316                  if (!i)
Mike>    317                      opts |= 1 << RBX_DUAL | 1 << RBX_SERIAL;
Mike>    318                  opts &= ~(1 << RBX_PROBEKBD);
Mike>    319              }

Mike> There aren't any timing parameters there either.  Either bit 4 in the
Mike> byte at 0x400:96 is set, or it's not.

I apologize for being unclear: I was using rawboot which uses the
keyboard probe in probe_keyboard.c in i386/boot/biosboot.  That probe
fails by default, and it goes on to work if the timing parameters are
increased.

Why are you being so abrasive?

--
Cheers =8-} Mike