Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2001 21:50:54 +0000
From:      Russell Cattelan <cattelan@thebarn.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Zhiui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Design a journalled file system

Terry Lambert wrote:

> Yes, I'm still looking for a commercial license that prohibits
> making XFS a stand-alone product, but still allows it be used
> in a commercial setting.  The Sun License on the original SLPv1,
> but fails to grant in perpetuity.  It may be that SGIs lawyer
> will have to do lawyering to work out one that satisfies them.

I've talked a bit more with some the upper management here at SGI.
Nothing concrete but the basic feeling: if a license can be found
that would satisfy the Free aspect of the BSD community without
giving permission to direct competitors ( e.g. Sun  ) the ability build and
ship
a product would then compete with IRIX boxes.

I suspect the easiest thing is going to be a license that removes the viral
aspect of the GPL but still requires permission from SGI for any commercial
application.

> Hopefully SGI will learn the HP JetSend and the Sun JINI and the
> Net/1 & Net/2 TCP/IP lesson: if you want something to be standard,
> you can't control it, and if you control it, it won't be standard.

It's going to take time.... opening up XFS was a big step,
I suspect most managers in the company don't fully understand
what has happened for what could happen.
Slow chipping at the old ideas....

--
Russell Cattelan