Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 2013 16:34:34 +0800
From:      Erich Dollansky <erich@alogt.com>
To:        yudi v <yudi.tux@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UPS buying suggestion

Hi,

On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 17:35:04 +1000
yudi v <yudi.tux@gmail.com> wrote:

> yes, but it does not tell you how long the UPS will be able to support
>
> > the 400W. It sounds to me that
> >

> I only need it to shutdown the system cleanly, so I am guessing less
> than 5mins is more than enough.

this should work but interrupts the current work. I live and work in a
region where short power failures are normal. Shutting down for them
would create to much of an interruption.

> > As you need the current anyway, I would use an ampere meter to
> > determine the exact current drawn. I got already some surprises
> > there.
> >
> > I would sugggest an UPS above 1000VA. I have currently this in use:
> >

> > I think 1000VA is overkill for a little server, I am going to get
> > this
> power monitor
> <http://steplight.com.au/monitor/plug-in-electricity-power-meter/>and
> see what the exact numbers are and then decide.

Read about the 'power factor'. The power meter will show you the actual
W consumed by the device but not the VA that your UPS will have to
deliver. This does normally not really matter except when you come
close to the limits of the device supplying the electricity.

Erich