Date:      Fri, 01 Jun 2007 11:40:47 +0200
From:      Robin Gruyters <r.gruyters@yirdis.nl>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Unrecognized archive format with RELENG_6_2 and RELENG_6

This message is in MIME format.

--=_5dnnl5jm2og8

This message is in MIME format and has been PGP signed.

--=_5ciff4ar7l8o

Hi ya,

Yesterday I have upgraded one of servers to RELENG_6_2 and no problems so fa=
r.
This morning I recieved an email from one of our system manager and =20
told me that the backup has failed with the following message:

tar: Unrecognized archive format: Inappropriate file type or format

This happends when the following command is used:

# tar -tf /dev/sa0

It will show you the first 10 files and then exits.
After searching the MARC list, I found the following post:

http://marc.info/?l=3Dfreebsd-questions&m=3D117442965732289

Apparently nobody has (yet) replied to it. After reading a few posts =20
about similar problems

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3D111236

I'd updated the libarchive (lib/libarchive) and tar (usr.bin/tar) in =20
the source tree to RELENG_6 and recompiled both, but still encounter =20
same problem.

Anybody any idea how to fix this?

Kind regards,

Robin Gruyters