Date:      Fri, 07 Jun 1996 20:06:00 -0700
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.org>
To:        brian@MediaCity.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PONY UP! (was: The -stable problem: my view)

Dear Brian,

If you have never sent one single email to us saying anything along
the lines of "geeze, it would help me much if you could ..." then
you can go happily on with your life and not pay anything to anybody.

If you have something you want done to FreeBSD, they you may have
to consider that you're asking one of us to do it in our spare time,
to save your butt, very likely in some professional context.

I'm not asking for the money for a new swimming pool for anybody.

I'm asking for the money, so that we can get somebody to help us
do the things that somebody like you, and, quite possibly you too
wants to see in FreeBSD, but which falls so far from our idea of
fun that it will not otherwise happen.

If you think FreeBSD is not FREE because we ask for volountary
donations to make it even better, then maybe we should donate to
an education to you in straight thinking, because you're clearly
not good at it at this time.

With not too much respect,

Poul-Henning Kamp

>Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>> What I'm more than a little bit disappointed with, is the number of
>> quite obvious commercial entities with their relative amounts of
>> success and dependencies on FreeBSD that have sent an email to
>> -core saying, "Hi, we owe you people something, what can we do for
>> you in return ?"
>
>FreeBSD has long been promoted as free.  It is hard for me to imagine
>how the word "owe" can be associated with the word "free".  But then,
>here in the US, I've run into alot of "free" things in which you
>really "owe".  So perhaps I am out-of-step with the modern meaning
>of the word free.

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.