Date:      Sun, 16 Jan 2011 17:34:29 +0100
From:      =?UTF-8?Q?Marius_N=C3=BCnnerich?= <marius@nuenneri.ch>
To:        Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, freebsd-sysinstall@freebsd.org, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSDInstall: merging to HEAD

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 19:26, Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org> wr=
ote:
> As those of you who have been reading freebsd-sysinstall and freebsd-arch
> know, I have been working for a few weeks on a lightweight new installer
> named 'bsdinstall'. This is designed to replace sysinstall for the 9.0
> release.
>
> After two weeks of testing and bug fixes on the sysinstall list, I believ=
> this now has all required functionality and is ready to be merged into th=
> main source tree. I would like to do this on Tuesday, 18 January. Switchi=
ng
> this to be the default installer would happen a few weeks after that,
> pending discussion on release formats with the release engineering team.
> This should provide a sufficient testing period before 9.0 and allow a
> maximal number of bugs to be discovered and solved before the release is
> shipped.
>
> Demo ISO for i386:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~nwhitehorn/bsdinstall-i386-20110114.iso.bz2
> SVN repository: svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/user/nwhitehorn/bsdinstall
> Wiki page: http://wiki.freebsd.org/BSDInstall
>
> Goals
> -----
> The primary goal of BSDInstall is to provide an easily extensible install=
er
> without the limitations of sysinstall, in order to allow more modern
> installations of FreeBSD. This means that it should have additional featu=
res
> to support modern setups, but simultaneously frees us to remove complicat=
ing
> features of sysinstall like making sure everything fits in floppy disk-si=
zed
> chunks.
>
> New Features:
> - Allows installation onto GPT disks on x86 systems
> - Can do installations spanning multiple disks
> - Allows installation into jails
> - Eases PXE installation
> - Virtualization friendly: can install from a live system onto disk
> =C2=A0images
> - Works on PowerPC
> - Streamlined system installation
> - More flexible scripting
> - Easily tweakable
> - All install CDs are live CDs
>
> Architecture
> ------------
> BSDInstall is a set of tools that are called in sequence by a master scri=
pt.
> These tools are, for example, the partition editor, the thing that fetche=
> the distributions from the network, the thing that untars them, etc. Sinc=
> these are just called in sequence from a shell script, a scripted
> installation can easily replace them with other things, (e.g. hard-coded
> gpart commands), leave steps out, add new ones, or interleave additional
> system modifications.
>
> Status
> ------
> This provides functionality most similar to the existing sysinstall
> [...]

Clean new virtualbox on FreeBSD host.

Install -> German ISO-8859-1 -> "vbox" -> Guided -> ad0 -> Partition
-> "You have canceled an installation step"

Actually I didn't cancel anything :)

After using the entire disk and installing some distributions it hangs
waiting for the root password, it won't continue when I just press
enter.
The screen output looks garbled by a LOR. The screen waiting for the
root pw is garbled too. Seems like it's not doing a carriage return,
just line-feeds. I tried this again a second time and everything
worked normally.