Date:      Sat, 29 Jun 2002 23:16:38 -0400
From:      Christopher Weimann <cweimann@k12hq.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   divert/natd/redirect_address/localnet don't get along.

I have a webserver setup on a private address and am fowarding port
a public address to it.  I have two addresses on dc0 ( public nic )
one for the firewall itself and the other is forwarded with natd's
redirect_address to the inside server.  This works fine for users
outside my network.  Inside my network however access to the webserver
( at its public ip ) results in a connection refused.  This seems
to be a problem with my diver rule.

I have managed to get this to work by adding a second rule like

/sbin/ipfw add 00050 divert 8668 ip from any to any via dc0
/sbin/ipfw add 00051 divert 8668 ip from any to any via dc1

I don't like this but it works.

Now I change my browser to go through squid ( running on the
firewall ) and it doesn't work anymore...

I guess the packets are no longer coming in via either of the
dc interfaces so I drop the via bit altogether and am back
to a single rule.

/sbin/ipfw add 00050 divert 8668 ip from any to any

I like this even less AND it doesn't fix the problem...

Do I have other choices?