Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2003 13:20:49 -0800
From:      "Derrick Ryalls" <ryallsd@datasphereweb.com>
To:        "'Steve Warwick'" <ukla@attbi.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Freebsd - restarting itself - followup

> Hi All,=20
>=20
> Thanks to all of you that replied so promptly to my question.=20
> However I think I failed to outline the situation clearly=20
> enough so with the responses so far in mind...
>=20
> Question was: Is it possible for FreeBSD to shut itself down=20
> and restart for no reason?
>=20
> - The "new server in question has been running at another=20
> facility without any problems for about 4 months so I am=20
> assuming it is "burned in" and stable.
>=20
> - The logs (var/log/messages, /var/log/httpd-error.log) do=20
> not show any obvious issues such as kernel panics, just a=20
> hard restart (/ not dismounted
> correctly)
>=20
> - As far as I can tell the box has not been exploited -- if=20
> someone we restarting the machine via software then / would=20
> dismount correctly.
>=20

Right now I have the exact same thing happening to one machine.  It is
located offsite (naturally) and about 10 days ago it had a random
shutdown (did not come back up) followed by a random reboot a couple
days later.  It had been running 50-60 days previous.  The shutdown
occurred just after business hours, the reboot at about 4am.  I now have
the machine emailing me at specific intervals to try to narrow things
down.

I have a couple ideas for the both of us.  One is that maybe the machine
is plugged into a faulty power line, something that is borking the
current enough to cause reboots.  Another is that maybe the PSU is dying
prematurely (3mos old for me).

I wish us both good luck.

-Derrick