Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 2000 10:13:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        dnelson@emsphone.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SVR4 Emulation [was Re: iBCS status?]

In article <20000608120525.A183@dan.emsphone.com>,
Dan Nelson  <dnelson@emsphone.com> wrote:

> Hmm.  So does this mean that SVR4-compliant programs must be
> dynamically-linked?

Yes.  The specification says that statically-linked programs are not
compliant.

> Is there any recommendations on how an OS should supply an SVR4 libc
> to an SVR4 application when the OS itself may not be SVR4-compliant?

Theoretically, you wouldn't need any kernel-level emulation at all if
you provided the right libc.  But of course it's not really SVR4 you
want to emulate -- it's UnixWare or OpenServer or something else that
has lots of extra interfaces which are outside the ABI specification.
Overall I think it's easier to use the vendor's libraries and do the
emulation at the kernel level, as we do now.

> And this doesn't address any libraries other than libc, I suppose?

Right.

> Sounds like trying to emulate "SVR4" in itself isn't sufficient.  We
> can still call the kld svr4.ko, but it's really doing SCO/SolarisX86
> syscall emulation.

Yep.

John