Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 1999 14:34:09 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Dmitry Valdov <dv@dv.ru>
Cc:        Theodore Rush <thrush@qmpgmc.ac.uk>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.1 Reboots

There was a similar problem in 2.2.7 when it was compiled
with certain kernel configurations. I found that removing
the ATAPI and ATAPI_STATIC options caused many VM errors.
Adding them back made the system stable. It took us a long
time to discover this.

3.1-RELEASE was the first non-experimental point release
in the 3.X tree. It always pays to wait for the second one
before installing the OS on mission-critical systems.
We're installing 3.1 on a few workstations, but will wait
for 3.2-RELEASE (and will delay installing it for two
weeks to make sure that there are no egregious problems)
before moving away from 2.2.8 on the servers. Yep, I know
this sounds incredibly paranoid, but a sysadmin has to be.

--Brett