Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 15:53:23 +1000
From:      "Murray Taylor" <murraytaylor@bytecraftsystems.com>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Low speed sync/async multiport serial cards driver/ usage info request

Has anyone experience with low speed multi port
synchronous / asynchronous serial cards?

I have data sheets on the following cards at present (the cards themselves
may be
outdated or unavailable as one of them is under a legacy tag on the
websites), and am
open to suggestions on alternative cards that may be suitable.

-- Aurora Technologies Saturn MultiPort Series
    www.auroratech.com
-- Emulex Corporation DCP-486p
    http://www.emulex.com/products/dcp/486.html

I am looking for help on drivers, and any implementation stories of
cards to use or avoid.

I am creating a test bed for a client comms card (in another processor box)
and
need some multiports cards... so that I can send test data into the card
from one process and receive the result from one or more of its output ports
into the appropriate number of receiver processes that then update a common
result database.

This will evolve into a hot-standby support system.

I believe that the higher spec cards that are typically used for
interfacing to ATM/Frame relay NTUs/T1 links etc may be
a - over spec for my speed needs
b - have drivers that are to tightly 'bound' to the support of mainline WANs

Any help / guidance appreciated

cheers

Murray Taylor -- Special Projects Engineer
Bytecraft Systems P/L
+61 3 8710 2555 phone    +61 3 8710 2599  fax
www.bytecraftsystems.com    www.bytecraftentertainment.com