Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 00:07:37 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu (Brett Taylor)
Cc:        brett@lariat.org, jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD emulation for linux

> > I'm beginning to think it's not worth even trying to talk sense to you
> > folks regarding PR, much less contribute time or code.
>
> You've suggested the following things that I remember recently:
>
> 	- that the Linux emulator has been bad for FreeBSD
>
> This is contrary to every person I've hooked on FreeBSD.  They appreciate
> the fact that its stable AND that they can run the preponderance of Linux
> apps that are available.

I'm actually the origin of this idea.  Well, not actually.  Ashton-Tate
is the true origin.

I'm dating myself by saying this, but....

Back in the days of dBase III, anyone who wanted to sell dBase III
based programs had to not only sell their program to their customer,
but they also had to sell them dBase III.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see why Clipper made such a big
splash:  by removing the dBase III runtime requirement, it halved the
amount of selling you had to do.

I think that Linux emulation is bounded by two arguments:

1)	It's clearly necessary, in that it allows FreeBSD to woo
	Linux users to FreeBSD, and to bolster sagging native
	applications statistics with Linux statistics.

2)	It's clearly damaging to the availability of native
	FreeBSD software, since it (effectively) pays developers
	a positive differential for *only* developeing for Linux,
	rather than creating Linux AND FreeBSD native binaries.

At this point someone will yell "CDE! CDE!", and point out that,
because FreeBSD users didn't want to buy a particular niche native
binary from a vendor who had been sold a rope, that there therefore
must be no market whatsoever for native FreeBSD binaries.

The problem with this particular instance is that FreeBSD "Osborne'd"
the native vendor by promising a "soon-to-be-released-new-version",
and the vendor was over-sold on the potential market, and then
under-delivered.

There is a market for FreeBSD native binaries.  This can be stated
as fact, given that people buy binaries (including Linux binaries)
to run on FreeBSD.  But how do you size this market?

First, you have to subtract out all of the people running the Linux
software under emulation because they simply couldn't wait.  Then
you have to take the support differential, and compare it to the
remaining number of potential sales that a native binary would buy
you.

You may damn the source, but Brett's OS/2 analogy is apt.

I personally think that a FreeBSD emulation layer for Linux, and
other OS's, is important for FreeBSD, from a marketing standpoint.

From a technical standpoint, Solaris and SCO are implementing Linux
emulation as well.  The Linux ABI looks to be gaining momentum as
the cross-x86 UNIX ABI.  This is technically very bad.  Consequences
range from loss of editorial control of the FreeBSD ABI to what pass
as architects in the Linux camps(*) all the way through rendering
FreeBSD meaningless to everyone but people with direct control over
its direction -- practically a branch of Linux.

It's important that FreeBSD define its long term goals, such that
short term decisions, such as whether or not a FreeBSD ABI for Linux
should receive project attention or effort, can be held up against
those long term goals.

FreeBSD needs to devise a vision that can be used as a litmus test,
to keep it from ratholing down discussions on whether proposed work
has merit or not.

(*) I am not criticizing Linux coders here; being agile has its
    merits.  But being agile in your ABI definition is frankly a
    nightmare for the poor application vendors chained to the
    back of your pickup truck like a forgotton hound.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.