Date:        Mon, 6 Mar 2000 19:32:37 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.csd.uu.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world failing

On Mon, Mar 06, 2000 at 11:46:59AM -0500, Charles A. Plater wrote:
> I have 3.4 installed, and I've used cvsup to updated the src-all and
> src-crypto trees.  When I try to do a make world if fails.  Here's and
> except from the output (the whole file is 6MB):
>
> > ===> lib/libcom_err/doc
> >
> > install-info --quiet  --defsection="Programming & development tools."
> > --defentry="* libcom_err: (com_err).        A Common Error Description Library
> > for UNIX."  com_err.info /usr/share/info/dir
> >
> > install-info: unrecognized option `--defsection=Programming & development
> > tools.'
> >
> > Try `install-info --help' for a complete list of options.
> >
> > *** Error code 1
> >

> > Stop.

[snip]

> What am I missing?

I think that you got the sources for -current rather than -stable.
I remember somebody trying to upgrade to recently getting such errors.
If that is what you are trying thenn I suggest you read /usr/src/UPDATING
which contain the right procedure for upgrading from 3.4-stable to
4.0-current.

If, on the other hand, you were just trying track -stable  then you got the
wrong sources with cvsup. Try again, this time asking for the 3.x-stable
branch instead of -current.

Hope this helps.