Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 2019 20:27:58 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        Mark Johnston <markj@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: head -r352341 example context on ThreadRipper 1950X: cpuset -n prefer:1 with -l 0-15 vs. -l 16-31 odd performance?

/progenyof($target)/{@[args[2]] =3D count();}' -c "cpuset -n rr ls"
>> 	0               71
>> 	1               72
>> # dtrace -n 'fbt::vm_page_alloc_domain_after:entry =
/progenyof($target)/{@[args[2]] =3D count();}' -c "cpuset -n prefer:1 =
ls"
>> 	1              143
>> # dtrace -n 'fbt::vm_page_alloc_domain_after:entry =
/progenyof($target)/{@[args[2]] =3D count();}' -c "cpuset -n prefer:0 =
ls"
>> 	0              143
>=20
> I'll think about this, although it would give no
> information which CPUs are executing the threads
> that are allocating or accessing the vectors for
> the integration kernel. So, for example, if the
> threads migrate to or start out on cpus they
> should not be on, this would not report such.
>=20
> For such "which CPUs" questions one stab would
> be simply to watch with top while the benchmark
> is running and see which CPUs end up being busy
> vs. which do not. I think I'll try this.

Using top did not show evidence of the wrong
CPUs being actively in use.

My variation of top is unusual in that it also
tracks some maximum observed figures and reports
them, here being:

8804M MaxObsActive, 4228M MaxObsWired, 13G MaxObs(Act+Wir)

(no swap use was reported). This gives a system
level view of about how much RAM was put to use
during the monitoring of the 2 benchmark runs
(-l0-15 and -l16-31). No where near enough used
to require both memory domains to be in use.

Thus, it would appear to be just where the
allocations are made for -n prefer:1 that
matters, at least when a (temporary) thread
does the allocations.

>> This approach might not work for various reasons depending on how
>> exactly your benchmark program works.

I've not tried dtrace yet.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard