Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 2013 16:14:45 -0700
From:      John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org Stable" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: BIND segway -> python -> first-class ports

On Dec 3, 2013, at 6:58 PM, Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org> wrote:

> I have said before that in my opinion we should have two classes of =
ports.
> Mechanically they are handled the same but class 1 ports are "standard =
additions",
> and if they don't work it's a "stop-ship" condition.. These would be =
MAJOR ports..
> like a minimal python, a minimal Perl (ok yuk but some people would =
insist),
> BIND, Sendmail, bash, and other things that people EXPECT to be in a =
FreeBSD system.
> If you break such a port it has the same weight as breaking something =
in base,
> but it's not base..

Whether we like it or not, 'pkg' is now (as of 10.0) effectively a =
"first-class" port, since although it lives in ports it is relied on by =
the base system (pkg bootstrapper) to provide core functionality =
(package management).

Since we have such a distinction it would be useful to make official so =
we could, for example, do more frequent build and regression tests of =
such ports. And if we're going to do that for one port we might as well =
do it for several...

JN