Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 2008 16:29:33 +1000
From:      Fraser Tweedale <frase@frase.id.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade 5.4 to 7 ????

--------------enigD1BA857139313B309A61F896

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 06:13:26 +0100, Dave Carrera <dave@ephgroup.com> wr=
ote:
>> Hi List,
>> Is it possible to upgrade to a stable v7 from 5.4 ??
>> If so how would i go about it ???
>=20
> Yes, it's possible.  You can go the build everything from source way, o=
> you can backup, install 7.X then restore.  Before you pick an upgrade
> method, you should at least consider the following:
>=20
>   * _Why_ do you want to upgrade from an older release like 5.4?
>=20
>   * How many systems are you going to upgrade?
>=20
>   * You should probably take a full backup of 5.4 anyway (in case
>     upgrading takes a couple of attempts with either method)
>=20
>   * How experienced are you with upgrading from the source?
>=20

I could only recommend upgrading from source.  It's the most heavily
tested upgrade path, especially across major versions.  The handbook
documents the process very well and even if it's your first time
upgrading from source you shouldn't find it too daunting.

Full backup should be considered -essential-.  You are crazy not to do
it.  If you take the build-from-source route, upgrade to the latest
release from each major branch before upgrading to the newer version, as
this is the most tested upgrade path.  i.e., since you're running 5.4,
upgrade to 5.5, then to 6.3, then to 7.0.  That is my recommendation
anyway.

frase